So, you left your Valentine’s day candy out, and your dog snuck a piece…or five. Don’t panic! This is your step-by-step guide to helping them through it and getting your furry friend feeling better in no time.
Step 1: Assess the situation
Figure out what your dog ate and how much they of it. Especially if it’s chocolate!
Step 2: Call up your Vet
If it looks like your pup ate a giant’s portion of sweets, your Vet may advise coming in immediately. On the other hand, if your furry friend just took a few nibbles, your vet might recommend keeping them home and watching for symptoms. No matter what, we recommend calling your vet and getting their insight on the situation.
Step 3: Assess their symptoms
Chocolate poisoning can result in:
- Rapid breathing and restlessness
- Increased heart rate
- Increased urination
Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for an increase in symptom intensity.
Step 4: Stay calm
In all likelihood, your pup (and you) might have a rough night, but be a-okay by morning! As long as symptoms don’t escalate, your fur baby should be back to themselves in no time.